For now we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face; now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 1 Corinthians 13:12

Paul was driven by a deep hunger for God. That hunger, he wrote to the Philippians, was to know Him. In this verse he also compares knowing God with the ability to see clearly.
In Paul’s day, mirrors weren’t as they are now. When I look at my reflection in a mirror today, it is an exact reflection of what is looking into the mirror, unfortunately. There is no question of the aging process. It’s all there; nothing is hidden or diminished. It wasn’t that way for Paul. Mirrors were probably opaque or not smooth. As a result, the reflected image would have been unclear and the details were hard to make out. Paul compares this experience of looking into an imperfect mirror with the Corinthian’s inability to “see” and to understand fully in this life. And because their vision and understanding were imperfect and incomplete, he says, above all else love was needed.
Love will bridge the gap, will provide the environment for our inability as humans to see and understand fully. Where there is a lack of clarity, Paul says let love rule. Where there is disagreement, Paul says, love through it all. When there is overemphasis or under emphasis of things we hold dearly, Paul says remember that we only see and understand in part, so continue to love. When faced with the choice of my liberty and rights or those of others, Paul says, deny yourself out of love of others.
We are moving toward the day when the Lord Jesus will be fully seen. There will be a full unveiling, a full revelation of His majesty, His holiness, His power, and His glory. We are imperfect humans who only see in part. We are limited in our vision and our understanding. Let’s walk in humility in this day, fixing our eyes on Him, as the Holy Spirit makes Him known fully to the glory of God the Father. But above all, let love be the incubator for that revelation we all long for.

Lord Jesus, I long for your full unveiling. I long to see you as you are in all your glory. I am your son, but I see and understand in part at best. Help me Lord, to walk in humility in this life. Give me grace to deny myself for others, to believe the best of others, and to give the benefit of the doubt when needed. Lord Jesus, let love be that which motivates me above all. Amen

R Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment