He that loseth his life for my sake shall find it

Matthew 10:38 "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it, and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it"

I am always amazed and encouraged when I hear stories of people who have chosen to pull up stakes and follow Christ, at whatever the personal cost may be to them. We have some treasured friends in South Carolina, who, for the past several years, have done just that. Our friend left the security of his job, sold his house, and he and his wife have in my opinion, literally given their all, to follow Christ. They have been a huge blessing in my life..but even more, God has taken them all over back east, and they have been allowed the privilege of helping and encouraging others, all over the eastern seaboard.

This week, I was having a typical day, reading a few emails from some friends that had come in..when I noticed one from my niece. I am a blessed woman. I have the most wonderful family..such an incredibly loving and supportive group of people. I was excited to open Erica's email..but had no idea what I was about to read. My precious niece, has made a decision in her life. She has decided to follow Christ. She is following in the footsteps of her sister, and her brother, who have both done the same thing. My nephew was in the Philippines ministering for a couple of years, and my other niece was in Romania, at least twice, ministering in the orphanages. Now God has blessed her with a beautiful little boy of her own. These kids have been such an inspiration to me.

My niece Erica, is an incredibly talented young woman, in so many ways..she is a gifted artist and photographer. For the last several years, she has worked for a company in Sacramento. She started at the bottom, but her employers saw something in her that they knew was of great value..you see, she is not only outwardly gifted and talented..she not only has a smile that literally lights up a room..but she has a heart as big as all outdoors..and she loves people. She received promotion at work, not just because she truly is dedicated, honest, and hard working, but because when you get to know her, you know that she has something that you want to have. She has the love of the Lord and it is evident in everything that she does.

Erica has been wrestling with something difficult in her life..she has sensed the call of God, and this week, has made a decision. She will answer the call. She is leaving the life she has known here..the life of security, family, a warm bed at night..and she will go to South Africa sometime in August. To say that I am proud of her would be an understatement. I can't think of any words that would express how much she has inspired those around her..how much better our lives are because of knowing her, and how truly her faith touches us..to the very core of our hearts.

Not every person would answer the call. I truly don't know if I would. God calls us to a higher mission than to just find comfort and tranquility in this life. It means to follow Him, at any cost, and to face almost certain opposition. Sometimes it separates us from those we love. If we are a lover of this life's rewards...leisure, power, popularity, beauty, financial security...we will truly come to know how empty those things really are. The best way to enjoy this life is to be free...free to follow Christ. Jesus gave an example of giving a cold cup of water to a thirsty child. This is such a great example, because a child is often unable to return a favor. Sometimes serving the Lord can seem thankless, but beloved, I promise you...it isn't. God sees...and He notices it as if He were the one receiving it. When you are serving others, you are serving Him.

To my niece..two thoughts. First, Your dad would be so very proud of you. ..and secondly, you wrote me a letter at Christmas time..one of the greatest treasures I have..I want to share back to you, the words that you wrote to me..."Everywhere, there are people who are in the middle of their own stories, facing dangers and hardships" Such wise words..Erica, every person you will meet will have such a story. They will be in the process of living out their story..and God has brought you into their story..for a purpose..to love..to encourage..to bring hope. "For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways" "God does watch over us...but it is usually through another person that He meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom"

I am so thankful for each person that this goes out to. As my niece said in her letter to me.. I am thankful for your willingness to serve God and those around you...and for Erica..I am reminded of Isaiah 52:7 "How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bring good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion: Thy God reigneth!"

I will be praying for you as you go share the good news of Christ..and as you share that cold cup of water with someone in need. Matthew 10:42. May each of us take time this weekend to serve someone else, to get our minds off of ourselves, and to simply love others. In doing so, we will be loving Jesus. There is truly no higher honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment