Ecclesiastes 3:1 "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven"

I find myself in the last few weeks, coming in to a new season in my life. The thing is, I'm not sure yet what this new "season" is exactly, or where it will take me. Things are quickly changing and I, like many of you, have not been convinced that I am ready for all of this. There are changes in my church, changes in my job, changes in our ministry, and even the loss of a beloved friend. My husband and I have had the privilege of ministering at the Sacramento County Boys Ranch for five years. Yesterday when we went to spend some time with these young men who are in such need of someone to simply care, we found out that the Ranch is closing Friday, and all of the wards are being moved to other facilities..and this ministry that has been such a huge part of our life is simply gone.
As we drove home yesterday, both of us in tears, I began to think about the seasons in our lives. I thought about the actual seasons..summer, fall, winter, and spring...and I began to realize how boring and mundane life would be if it were always winter..or always summer..if I never got to see the changing colors of the leaves, or feel the warmth of the sun on my face. If I never saw another flower bloom, or another rainbow, or even a rain drop..what a tragedy it would be to live in a world without change.
I honestly believe that there are times in our lives where God allows some of the "props" to be removed..some of the things, and even the people, who have held us up..and He literally brings us into a new season..where it is us and Him..where it is His heart's desire for us to draw ever so close to Him..with no distractions..a time of sitting at His feet, a time for Him to have our full attention, to be able to pour into us..a time of renewed hope, and trust that is deepened, a time of strength being renewed, and peace in the midst of the storm becoming a reality..a greater understanding of the height and depth of the love that He has for us.
I am thankful for the changing seasons..and I am thankful that no matter what may be changing in the world around me..one thing never changes..and that is my Lord and Savior. He is the same, yesterday, today and forever. On that, I place my trust. It doesn't matter if I am unclear about the future. I am a child of the King..and He IS my future. He promises that He will never fail me.
May we all, during these difficult days of being unsure what the future may hold, be reminded that our lives, and our hope are "In Christ". We have nothing to fear. He is the solid rock on which we stand. All other ground is sinking sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment