Judge Not

Matthew 7:1-2 "Do not judge, criticize and condemn others, so that you may not be judged and criticized and condemned yourselves. For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, and in accordance with the measure you deal out to others, it will be dealt out again to you"

I truly believe that the finger pointing that many of us do at someone in judgement is often a cover up. We want to mask our own weaknesses. We don't want people to see the flaws in our own lives. It just seems easier to point the finger somewhere else. I've heard it said, "Judge others before they have a chance to judge you". I knew a man once who constantly was critical of everyone around him. He would say terrible things about people..even calling them names behind their backs..This man was an alcoholic, and I often wondered if he criticized others in an effort to keep people from commenting on his drinking problem, which was obvious to everyone around him.

I spent a lot of time for a season in my life, with some extremely critical people. Judgement was a part of every conversation. I fell into the trap of thinking that I was actually "helping" the people I judged somehow..and I, along with a group of others, became an "expert" at knowing the flaws of everyone around me..knowing how each person should live..knowing what mistakes they were making and how they should fix them. The devil loves to keep us busy, judging the faults of others. Never mind looking in the mirror!

When I look back at that time, I'm nearly sickened by it..because truly I was doing the devil's work and didn't even know it. If anyone would have told me that I was a critical or judgemental person, I would have been shocked and denied it. I would have stood my ground and remained firm that I was only trying to "help" someone, often under the guise of prayer. Can you imagine dragging God into this? I wasn't aware of my negative attitude. I simply thought I was giving my opinion. I wasn't aware either that who we surround ourselves with is so incredibly important. When we are with friends who breathe life into us, who truly love Jesus, and others, we will begin to take on those characteristics ourselves..and the same goes the other way. When we are surrounded by critical people, we will begin to take on those characteristics as well.
Somehow in recent years, the Lord has helped me to look in the mirror..I'm not talking about the mirror that hangs on your bathroom wall, that you see yourself in..I'm talking about the mirror of God's word. He has begun to help me to see others as He sees them..to see that He knows each of us so well, that He sees past our pain, and into the deep places in our hearts that often motivate our actions. He has gently shown me that there is a better way than the negative attitude that I have carried with me for such a long time. He has shown me that I can't change people..but He can! And He can use me in that endeavor, by simply loving on someone, and genuinely praying.

It has taken me a while, but I have begun to learn that when the devil brings those harsh and unkind thoughts to my mind, we can use the Word of God to chase them away. There may be no better verse to repeat than Philippians 4:8 "Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things". In other words, fix your mind on the good!

When we are judging others, we are usually most miserable ourselves. I wanted to be able to say that what others did or how they looked..was none of my business..but it has taken a while to replace the negative thoughts with all the good things that I truly do have to think about.
Beloved, we are God's people..and we represent Him. We are part of His family..and He wants us to love and protect our family members, which I promise will bring about any change that is truly needed..rather than judging or gossiping. If this is an area of struggle for you, I want to reassure you today, that with His help, and through His word, you can be an overcomer!

No comments:

Post a Comment