Mark 10:48 "And many charged him that he should hold his peace; but he cried the more a great deal, Thou son of David, have mercy on me"

Our friend Jeff has preached from this passage at the Boys Ranch a couple of times. It is such a powerful passage of scripture and so encouraging, not only to the inmates, but to me personally. Bartamaeus was blind, and sat by the highway begging. That is how he made his living. Most occupations of that time required some type of physical labor and anyone with a handicap was at a severe disadvantage.

I guess I somewhat identify with Bartamaeus, and the Lord has used the story of what happened to him, to infuse strength and hope into my own life. As Bart sat by the highway, he heard that Jesus of Nazareth was coming. He began to cry out to Him..and asked Jesus to have mercy on him. Verse 48 says that MANY who were with him, charged him that he should hold his peace..in other words, they were telling him to Be Quiet! I have heard that when a person has a disability, such as blindness, the other senses are much stronger..Bartamaeus could probably hear very well, and knew what the people were saying to him.. Leave Jesus alone. Don't bother him with your needs. But Bartamaeus cried the more, a great deal!

Have you ever had a similar experience? Has there ever been a need in your life that maybe you didn't receive an immediate answer to? Has anyone ever told you that its time to let that go, even though you are not completely convinced that it is? Have you had a dream for your life..a longing if you will..in a certain area, that is unfulfilled..and the crowd of people that surround your life have tried to quiet you?

I've had such a dream..there has been something that has been on my heart for nearly 20 years that I was actually talked out of many years ago. The person who talked to me made a lot of sense and so I decided it best to let go of the dream..but because after all these years, this dream is still on my heart, I am realizing that it is not only my desire for my life..it is God's desire for me. His desires for us usually become our desires. I wonder how many things I have let go of that God wanted me to have. I wonder what would have happened to blind Bartamaeus if he would have listened to the naysayers..I know one thing..he wouldn't have received his healing..and he may have spent the rest of his life sitting by that highway, begging.

When Bartamaeus called out to Jesus..Jesus heard his call. He stopped..and then He listened to the man's greatest desire..that he might receive his sight. Then Jesus told him the most amazing thing..He said, "Go thy way. Thy faith hath made thee whole"..

I do know and understand that there is a time to let go..but I think far too often, we let go too soon. We listen to the voices of the naysayers more than we listen to the voice of our Lord, who speaks gently to our spirit..we don't pay attention to the desires of our hearts. We are convinced by circumstances, and often people..rather than being led. I don't know about you, but I want to start living by faith. When I believe that God is speaking to me about something, even if it seems impossible, I want to go forward. I want to be the one in the crowd who is crying out, all the more, as Bartamaeus did. Jesus said it was his faith that made him whole.

The Word of God says that His sheep hear his voice, and they know it. My prayer for each of us today is simply that we would allow ourselves to be led, by His sweet Spirit..that our faith would rise, and that we, like blind Bart, would wholeheartedly seek God, despite our circumstances. I have heard it said that sheep are to be led, not driven. May we be able to discern the difference..and follow Him..May each of us be the voice that cries out the more a great deal..Son of David..have mercy. May our determination rise along with our faith. May you all be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment