Christ liveth in me

Galatians 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live BY the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."
The heritage of the cross is a life lived in trust. It frees us from the bondage of sin that drives us to compensate for that, and provides for us the certainty that we are loved by the God of the universe. This is the faith He wants us to live by, and even that faith is His gift to us.
Few versions of the Bible translate Galatians 2:20 exactly as it appears in the original Greek. Paul wrote: "I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me"
The vast majority translate it, "The life I live in the body, I live by faith IN the Son of God." They could not conceive of what Paul might have meant by living the faith OF Jesus...so they translate it as "faith IN the Son of God" because certainly there are so many wonderful scriptures that speak of the importance of putting our faith IN Him. I believe Paul was speaking about something different however in this verse. I believe that Paul was saying that he lived off Jesus' faith..not by mustering up enough of his own.
When the Lord showed me this recently, it changed my life. Time after time over the years, I have wondered what was "wrong" with me..why I didn't have enough faith to believe God for something..why I couldn't muster up more faith..what a failure I must be to God because it's so hard sometimes to stand strong during the difficult times. But beloved...God does not see us as failures. We are not disappointments to Him. This verse is incredible. How often do you feel "weak" in faith? Try as hard as you might to believe, belief still escapes you. How do you muster up what you lack? People tell us to simply trust Jesus more..and while they may be right, it is rarely helpful to hear without practically understanding the how part. How do we trust Him more than we already do?
I believe the answer lies here..Paul didn't live by his own human faith. He let Jesus live IN him, and let Jesus' trust in the Father stand for his. Just this week, we have been tested. Ray was in a car accident..yesterday we received some bad news..and in the midst of these storms, when we truly could have been paralyzed, we simply prayed "Jesus, give us YOUR faith to stand strong, believing that our lives are in your hands"..
It's amazing how simply knowing that we don't have to muster up more faith, but we can stand in Christ's faith, who lives in us..seems to release a power beyond our own abilities or intellect. We can see a little more clearly. Our hearts find greater endurance. Answers we thought we needed no longer seem that important. His presence proves to be sufficient in the storm...and we recognize once again..that we are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment