I John 2:9 "Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness"

Harboring resentment is like living life in a dark cave. There is no comfortable place to sit, it is difficult to see, creepy things scurry around, the ceiling drips, and you are always cold.
There is a boulder blocking your exit from the cave..and it has the mighty weight of unforgiveness. Sometimes forgiveness seems impossible. When you have been hurt by the cutting words of someone you thought would never leave your side..when you've been betrayed, when lies have been spoken about you. I found out recently that there is something untrue going around about me..and a situation that happened years ago. I'm actually not even in a place where I can defend myself...and I wouldn't want to. At first, it was rather shocking to learn that after all these years, there was still gossip going around..and unreliable gossip at that..but God has shown me this week, that as Stephen realized, I must also..so often, people don't know what they are doing. They are only repeating what they were told and believed.
Beloved, the Lord wants us to live in freedom..and holding anything against anyone keeps us bound. God knows our disdain for life in the cave, and He knows that in our weakness, we cannot move the giant boulder that is blocking our way out. Your God wants so much for you. He waits for us to tire of the darkness and the bondage..and to come to Him..asking Him to work in our hearts, to work in our situation..and to remove the boulder that we might walk in light..His light..and in freedom again.
All of us know when we need to forgive. We know what we need to let go of. Maybe today is the time for some of us (and I'm at the top of that list) to ask for divine help in rolling aside our boulders and exiting the cave. When we ask for His divine strength, I know that God is happy to use His might on your behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment