"We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon You" 2 Chronicles 20:12

An Israelite named Uzzah lost his life because he reached out and took hold of the ark of God. He placed his hands on it to steady it "because the oxen stumbled"..but nevertheless, he had overstepped his bounds by touching the Lord's work.
Time after time, I have tried to "help" God. I am learning that living a life of faith often requires us to leave things alone. I had a friend a few years ago who I kept "rescuing". The needs in her life were great, and she didn't really have anyone else that I could see anyway, who could help her. I kept stepping in..but it seemed no matter how many times I "stepped in" to help, it never really changed anything. The problems only increased and the wear and tear on me was becoming evident as well. Finally, at some point, I realized that God loved this woman, just like He loved me. I realized that to keep "Helping" Him only meant that she was turning to me, instead of to God. I was worn out, and the relationship and trust that He wanted to develop with her were being snuffed out.
I am definitely not saying that we shouldn't help people. I'm not saying that at all. I am saying that if we have completely entrusted someone, or something to God, unless He specifically speaks to us otherwise, I think that it is often better to keep our hands off. God knows every circumstance that we face..much better than we do..and He will work in those circumstances at the perfect moment, if we will completely trust Him to work in His own way and in His time.
There truly are times when the best "action" on our part is simply to pray. It is such a comfort to drop the entanglements and perplexities of life into God's hands and leave them there.

No comments:

Post a Comment