"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers"

Last Sunday, our pastor touched on this scripture when he was preaching..I love my pastor..He can communicate a difficult thought without condemning anyone or making them feel guilty. He simply looked out at us and quietly stated.."So you say you love God, and yet what is it that comes out of your mouth?" He began to speak about swear words, and someone from the back called out "preach it!" I found myself wanting to call out too..what about gossip? What about judgement? What about harsh words that hurt? What about lying? What about revealing someone's private problems under the guise of "praying" about it? What about complaining?
I heard someone say once that the things that bother us the most are probably the things we struggle with ourselves. I didn't have the courage to call out. I only know that I have struggled with my mouth my entire life. I think if the truth were known, most of us do. As our pastor very sweetly broached this subject, something happened. I think everyone in the room must have sensed it. I know that the Lord is always with us..but that morning as our pastor preached, the sweet presence of God filled the room. It was like a blanket that came down and warmed all of our hearts. You could have heard a pin drop in there.
I have come to truly realize that the reason for his instructive verse from scripture isn't just for those around us..it's for us. Have you ever noticed that the more you talk about something difficult, the worse you feel? Words are containers for power. They come out of our mouths, and somehow enter the air around us..then they go back into our own ears, and the ears of anyone around us. We can actually get discouraged and become fainthearted, just by listening to ourselves!
Ray and I visited a church one time that we absolutely loved. The worship was like none other...it was so God honoring. The preaching was also very God honoring and encouraging. We would have gone back except for one thing. Before and after the service, we picked up on a lot of gossip going on among people who attended there. How can this even be? How can this even happen to any of us when we have just sat in the presence of God? I think of the children of Israel and how they murmured and complained..and I wonder how different I am.
Words have the power to build up..they also have the power to destroy. I have seen marriages discentegrate simply because of the words that were spoken. Wars begin because of words. Families fall apart because of words. Friendships end because of words.
Beloved, we all need God's help in this area. This is not in any way meant to make anyone feel bad. God knew that we would struggle..and it is His desire that we encourage each other. Today, ask for His help, and He will certainly give it..not only that..you will be encouraged and uplifted yourself as you begin to speak words of life. May you all be richly blessed today!

No comments:

Post a Comment