Keep his tongue free from evil and his lips from guile

1 Peter 3:10 "Let him who wants to enjoy life and see good days keep his tongue free from evil and his lips from guile"
Have you ever regretted something you said, the moment the words were out of your mouth? I have. You realize you can't take back those words..and you see the look on the face of the person that you just said them to..it is a look of hurt..or of anger..or of pain..and you suddenly feel like the biggest failure in the world..because you know you're the reason. Words can damage relationships.
When I was growing up, my grandmother died. She was my dad's mom. She lived in Illinois and we were getting ready to travel back there for the funeral. My dad was on the phone before we left, with his sister. They were discussing their mother's funeral flowers when my aunt told my dad that she had already picked out the flowers and paid for them. This really hurt my dad because he wanted to be allowed to be part of all that process. My aunt was not trying to take over..she just thought that since we were so far away, it would help for her to do some of the things that dad wouldn't be around to do. Needless to say, dad lashed out at her..she lashed out at him...and they never spoke again for 35 years!!! My grandmother would have greatly mourned that entire episode had she known.
When I teach Sunday School, I have at times brought a tube of toothpaste with me..and talked to the kids about what comes out of their mouths. I squirt some of the toothpaste onto a piece of fabric and show them how the toothpaste stains the fabric..just like words can stain someone's heart..and then I remind them that you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube once it's already out. It's the same with the words that we speak. Once they have left our mouth, there is no way to take them back.
I'm not saying that there is never a time for standing our ground at all. I am saying that before we respond too quickly in any situation, we all need to take a deep breath, and even stop for a moment if we need to. At times, a difficult conversation might even require that we walk away for a few moments. I promise you that walking away for a few moments to gather your thoughts is better than the losing someone for years that you truly care about.
Today ask the Holy Spirit to help you in every conversation you have. James taught, "Let every man be quick to hear (a ready listener), slow to speak, and slow to take offense and get angry" Commit your mouth to God today, and use words that speak healing to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment