Proverbs 26:20 "Where no wood is, the fire goes out: so, where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth"

It is so tempting to "vent". I have a particular friend with whom I have "shared my heart" for years. I look back and wonder how many times I have actually filled her mind with questions, or even poisoned it, to some degree when I thought I was simply "venting".
It can be temporarily validating to air your own dirty laundry..or someone elses. Having the last word might even seem like a victory. But notice how quickly that "righteous" feeling turns to shame..usually faster than you can walk away, hang up the phone, or hit "send". The same way that following God's will provides a pleasant rush of Spirit, speaking out of turn or "idly" can instantly wrap you in the chill of guilt..feeling like you have failed the person you were speaking of, you have let God down, and you have even let yourself down.
James wrote that the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. It can defile the whole body and set on fire the course of nature. He says it is unruly, evil, and full of deadly poison. Out of the same mouth that can bless someone..that same mouth can curse someone.
Beloved, I cannot emphasize enough how crucial it is to get control over our tongues. God will help us wash our dirty laundry, and even fold our clean clothes and put them away. We need to share our load with Him..and let gossip die of malnutrition and suffocation.
Today, I challenge each of us to stop talking to everyone, and to start praying. Soon enough, we will all have pleasant words to share with others that will enable us to speak wisdom and comfort others.

No comments:

Post a Comment